- See more at: http://tutorialgeek.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-change-your-blogger-domain-url.html#sthash.sezFio1Q.dpuf

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stenciled - Upholstered Headboard

I can’t believe this day has finally come! Back in June I decided to build a headboard for the master bedroom - at the beginning of the month I shared my plan…and at the end of the month I publicly admitted failure. Well, three months later…I have a headboard!
Before I get into all of the details, how about a sneak peek?

Isn't it pretty?!
You might remember that my main hang up for this project was the fabric. I couldn’t decide on a fabric – and when I did, the fabric didn’t look as good in person/didn’t look good in the room.  Sigh. But then one glorious day, Cutting Edge Stencils contacted me to see if I wanted to review one of their stencils! And that’s when I decided to stencil my own fabric. Then I could customize the design and color – problem solved.
I picked the Zamira Allover Stencil for my project. I bought 3 yards (but only used 2.5 yards) of white upholstery-ish fabric from Wal-Mart for $6.99/yard. The paint color is CraftSmart Robin’s Egg Blue (found at Michael’s) and the fabric medium is Martha Stewart (also from Michael’s).

I’m not going to write a full tutorial for any of this because there are already a lot of great ones out there, but I will share a few tips that helped me…and hopefully will help you if you decide to do this yourself.
For stenciling fabric, Becca has a great tutorial with a lot of helpful advice. My main tips would be to use spray adhesive and don’t use a lot of paint on the roller. Oh, and if the paint does bleed under the stencil, you can just use a small paint brush to do touchups. The touchups aren’t noticeable at all with a big pattern like this one.

I’m so happy with how the fabric turned out! Stenciling took for-ev-er, but it was so worth it! I can’t say enough good things about Cutting Edge Stencils. I would definitely buy stencils from them in the future for other projects – accent walls, curtains, furniture, etc. They have a large selection and the quality is great – not like the cheap, flimsy ones in the craft store. Stay tuned for a Cutting Edge Stencils related announcement at the end of the post.
OK, now let’s talk headboard – I don’t have a full tutorial because there are A LOT of them already out there, but here’s my quick tips. Note: I have a king-size bed.
Instead of buying foam, which can be really expensive, I used a full-size foam mattress topper. It was about $12 at Wal-Mart and was big enough to do 2 layers. As you can see below, it wasn’t quite long enough, so I just added an extra little piece to the end – after the batting and fabric, you can’t tell the difference. I used the leftover spray adhesive from my stencil project to hold the foam.


After the foam I added two layers of batting (found at Joann’s) and then my fabric. The fabric was a little stiff from the paint, but ironing it (with the steam on) seemed to help.


I used the excess material to cover any of the wood that might be seen from the top/sides. I decided to use the entire piece of plywood so I wouldn’t have to worry about hanging it from the wall or adding legs. It seemed like the easiest way…and I didn’t have to mess with a saw.


And here it is:

I’m so happy with how it turned out. Having a headboard makes the room look so much more finished! Although, now I want to buy bigger lamps and I need to find something to hang above the headboard.


Ringo and Abby love it too!

OK, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Ringo was more focused on trying to bite the buttons off the comforter and Abby just wanted to lick my face. I had to bribe them with treats to get this picture. I don’t know how people get pictures of their dogs laying sweetly in the background.
Anyway, I’m so happy with my new headboard…and that I conquered my first stenciling project!

And now for the big announcement: Tomorrow I’ll be hosting a giveaway for a stencil of your choice (up to $50 value) from Cutting Edge Stencils! Check back tomorrow for all the details! 

Giveaway is now closed...


Primitive and Proper
Tickled Pink at 504 MainFurniture Feature FridaysLiz Marie BlogPhotobucketToo Much Time On My HandsHookingupwithHoH
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin