- See more at: http://tutorialgeek.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-change-your-blogger-domain-url.html#sthash.sezFio1Q.dpuf

Monday, December 16, 2013

Pinterest Recipe Week 5 Review

Last Monday I announced that I was going to cook dinner for the whole week based only on recipes that I’ve pinned on Pinterest - aka Pinterest Recipe Week.  Everything turned out pretty good, but not all earned a spot in my recipe binder. Before I crap on any recipes I want to say that these are just our opinions. You might like something we didn’t like or vice versa. That’s what makes food fun; everyone is different.

Monday


Korean Beef with Rice and Broccoli (see recipe here)



I was kind of skeptical about this recipe when I picked it because I didn’t think ground beef over rice could be anything special. I was wrong! This recipe was yummy and so easy to make (perfect for those busy week-nights). The sauce totally makes the whole dish and would be delicious with chicken or salmon. Oh, and don’t skip the green onions!

Tuesday


Caprese Stuffed Avocados (see recipe here)



These stuffed avocados were good, but not substantial enough to be a complete meal. At least for us, these would have been a better side dish. I should have known better…Anyway, I think these would be great served with a lightly marinated grilled chicken breast. That being said, I’m going to make these again, as a side dish, before I decide if this recipe is a keeper or not.

Wednesday


7 Layer-Dip Taquitos (see recipe here)

I was so excited to eat these that I forgot to take a picture before I stuffed my face…


I love Mexican food, so of course I loved these. I sprinkled my taquitos with some diced black olives, but I think I’d leave that off next time and add some chopped green onions instead. Oh, and I want to warn you that these taquitos splatter like crazy while they are frying. Abby usually lays by my feet while I cook, but I had to kick her out of the kitchen this time because I was scared she was going to get splattered with hot oil.
 

Cooking Note: If you spread the toppings over only ¾ of the tortilla, they are easier to rollup and the toppings don’t spill out as much.

Thursday


Baked Bang Bang Chicken and Sweet Ginger Garlic Green Beans with Rice (see recipe here)



This was good, but not great. There was too much flour in the breading mixture compared to breadcrumbs. I think it would have been better to separate the flour mixture from the breadcrumbs. Then dip the chicken in the eggs, flour mixture, back in the eggs and then the panko breadcrumbs (instead of eggs, flour/breadcrumb mixture, eggs, flour/breadcrumb mixture). Also, if I were to make these again I’d put the sauce in a large bag, add the cooked nuggets, and shake to coat them in the sauce…the drizzle of sauce definitely isn’t enough. I ended up putting a big glob of the sauce on my plate to dip each of the chicken pieces.
 

Anyway, if you are looking for a good “bang bang” recipe, I’d recommend the Bangin’ Grilled Shrimp Skewers from Skinny Taste.

Sunday


Cajun Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Pasta with Baguette (see recipe here)



Meh. This was pretty good, but I've had better. I don't think 3 different types of meat is necessary for this recipe (plus it makes this dish expensive to make). The instructions could use some proofreading too...it doesn't say when to add the garlic and it mentions adding the green onions, parmesan cheese, and parsley twice. If you are looking for a good pasta recipe, we like Spicy Sausage Pasta from Emily Bites (it's healthier too).

Breakfast


Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Muffins (see recipe here)



These are delicious! I baked these Monday night and ate one for breakfast every morning throughout the week. I loaded the top of my muffins with the crumb mixture and still had some leftover, so next time I’d add more than ¼ cup to the batter (I’d do at least 1/3 cup).

Stuffed Breakfast Bubble Biscuits (see recipe here)



OMG, these are so goooood! They did take quite a bit of time to put together, but they were worth it. I highly recommend serving them with gravy… I used the grease leftover from the bacon to make gravy (using this recipe). I don’t make breakfast very often, but I’m already looking forward to making these again!

Dessert 


Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake (see recipe here)



Obviously these were amazing! How can you go wrong with glazed donuts, strawberries, and fresh whipped cream?! You can’t! Seriously, these are worth every calorie!


So, the recipes that earned a spot in my recipe binder are:
Korean Beef with Rice and Broccoli
7 Layer-Dip Taquitos
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Muffins
Stuffed Breakfast Bubble Biscuits
Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake


Has anyone else tried a recipe they've pinned? Leave any recommendations in the comments section - I'm always looking for new dishes!


You can see these pins and other food related pins here
You can read previous Pinterest Recipe Week reviews here





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin