- See more at: http://tutorialgeek.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-change-your-blogger-domain-url.html#sthash.sezFio1Q.dpuf

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014 Home/Life Goals

Last week we reviewed my 2013 Home Goals (you can read that here), so now it’s time to move onto 2014 and share my goals for the new year. You’ll probably notice some similarities to last year’s goals, but I’m also adding some “life” goals this year too. I originally planned to do separate posts, but I think one goal post is more than enough.

Anyway, let’s start with the home goals:
 

#1 Finish a Room (or Two)

The living room changed dramatically (for the better) over the past year. With the addition of our new sectional, bold rug, apothecary cabinet, curtains, DIY abstract art, plus painting the console table and china hutch, the living room is actually starting to look like an adult living-space…no more college leftovers. Just like the living room, the office was given a dramatic makeover in 2013. The makeover started when I painted stripes around the room and continued with the addition of new curtains, a Craigslist sleeper sofa, a hand-built desk, file cabinets, a mounted TV and a surrounding gallery wall.
 

Even after all of those changes, neither room is complete. I still have a few projects remaining on both to-do lists, so my goal this year to cross off everything on at least one (preferably both) of those to-do lists. Most of the items left on my lists are smaller (and cheaper), so this is definitely doable over the course of a year. Although, I think most of you will agree that a room is never really finished so I’ll have a hard time ever calling it complete. 


#2 Landscape the Backyard

The inside of the house is starting to come together for the most part, so it’s time to start putting some time and money into the backyard. Right now it’s just dirt and weeds, but it has so much potential. We have a large yard and we really want to take advantage of that. Unfortunately Ringo loves to destroy anything leafy or chewable in the backyard, so our options are 

somewhat limited, but I think we can make it work (say Tim Gunn would say). 


#3 Call for Help

We have a few projects around the house that need outside help. I hate calling/getting estimates/scheduling appointments, so I’ve been putting it off for a couple years awhile now. Seriously, I just need to suck it up and get it done. Calling someone to fix drywall is first on my list. I still haven’t fixed the ceiling where the condensation from the a/c caused damage and the previous owner installed a doggie door between the laundry room and garage that we need to finish closing up. I also need to call an electrician to center the box for the light fixture in the guest bathroom, maybe in the dining room too. I think landscaping is also going to fall into this category.




OK, now let’s talk life goals:
 

#1 Live Healthier

This one is a carryover from last year - I tried, but wasn’t consistent, so consistency is going to be the key for me this year. I simply want to start exercising more and eating healthier. I gained about 12 pounds last year, so losing that extra weight is a big incentive for me to work hard this year. You can find me on myfitnesspal as swhirai22, if you are on there, add me! I could use the extra motivation!



#2 Enjoy Life

This one is very personal and not something I usually share on my blog. Over the past six months I’ve learned a hard lesson about how precious life is and how it quickly it can end. My family moved to Prescott, AZ when I was six. Until recently I’m sure most of you have never heard of Prescott, but it became national news when 19 local firefighters were killed in June battling a forest fire. I graduated from high school with two of the men that were killed. I remember the shock and sadness that I felt when I recognized their names.
 

Less than a month later, my Uncle Jon (my mom’s youngest brother) passed away. It was completely unexpected and my family is still having a hard time dealing with the loss. We celebrated the New Year hoping 2014 would bring more health and happiness than 2013. The following day my Uncle Jim (my mom’s oldest brother) passed away unexpectedly.  To say it’s been a hard six months would be an understatement, but we continue to carry on as they would have wished.
 

That being said, my goal is to enjoy life more! Don’t get me wrong - that doesn’t mean that I’m going to start screaming YOLO and doing stupid things. It just means I’m going to take more chances, look for new opportunities and experiences, and enjoy those special little everyday moments. I feel like I spend a lot of my days just going through the motions and I’ve been stuck in a rut for awhile…it’s time to mix it up and enjoy my days more than I have been. Plus we are planning a really exciting trip in July...something I never thought I'd do. More details soon! 



What are your goals/resolutions for 2014? Or do you skip making resolutions because you never keep them?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin