- See more at: http://tutorialgeek.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-change-your-blogger-domain-url.html#sthash.sezFio1Q.dpuf

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mini "Pallet" Sign



Once again I'm joining Katie from Bower Power, Sherry from Young House Love, Kate from Centsational Girl, and Michelle from Ten June for the Pinterest Challenge – Summer Edition! 

For this season's challenge I decided to hop on the ol' pallet art bandwagon. My two inspiration pieces were the DIY pallet sign from The Frugal Girls:

source via Pinterest (please pin this image from the source)

And the pallet headboard from House Tweaking...I'm sure everyone has seen this one before:


source via Pinterest (please pin this image from the source)

I don't have any real pallets hanging around so I used The Frugal Girls' suggestion of garden stakes.

I found these stakes at Ace Hardware for $1.29 each. They are 1" x 2" x 36".

I cut the point off and then cut the stakes into thirds. Each piece ended up being about 11". 

Then I stained all sides of the stakes with a Dark Walnut stain. 


Then I painted all sides with Valspar's Nautical (free sample from last year). Once the paint was dry I attached everything with a few nails. 


I used my mouse sander to do a little distressing. Seriously, it took me 30 seconds with my electric sander - best purchase ever! 


I used my Silhouette to create the "love" stencil. The font is called LD Charming Bold and it's available in the Silhouette online shop. I used transfer paper to keep everything together and level. 


Once everything was in place I used a foam brush to dab white craft paint into the letters. Remember - less paint is more if you want to keep the letters crisp.


I peeled the vinyl off after a few minutes. Don't let it dry completely, or it's going to suck to get off. Once the paint was dry I lightly sanded the letters by hand. 


And after all of that:


And in its new home on the mantle:

 (the white paint is still wet in this picture...shhhh! our little secret)

I only ended up using 3 of the stakes and I had everything else on hand, so this whole project was less than $4!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin